1. Riding the bus now costs 1.20€, instead of 1€
2. THE OBRAS ARE FINISHED IN FRONT OF ACENTO! They finished work on the new metro. I may take a ride on it tomorrow, though I have no idea where it goes. It looks awesome though. The street is clear, there are escalators housed in glass that lead downward.
3. The mineros are still protesting. (It seems that after two years of hunger strike, someone would have died... maybe it's not a hunger strike)
4. The ageless Spanish women have not aged. In fact, they may be younger.
5. Ana Bello and Mercedes are still awesome. I spent the siesta con Ana y su madre.
6. Las Palomas continues to make the best triangulos de chocolate ever. (Catita, your directions were perfect)
7. There are billboards now that say "Cuando uno fuma, fumamos todos." Word. Thank you ministerio de salud for realizing that. ("When one person is smoking, we're all smoking.")
8. Vampires, judging by the bus station billboards, are quite popular here as well.
9. Bicycles seem more prevalent here than before. Or maybe I just notice cause I want one.
10. I bought some bonobuses today. One each of con and sin trasbordo. Since I'll be here a while, they gave me a reloadable plastic card with a chip, not one that is paper that stamps the number of uses on it. Weird!
Also, when I was taking the treinta y cuatro (bus) today, I was giggling like a fool. So I took out my newly purchased mobile phone and pretended to text. But really, I was giggling out of sheer joy. It feels so good to be here. So good. I feel as if I know the secret code of Spain now, and it is that there is no code, just give people their space and be polite but not eagerly friendly.
Tomorrow, I move to my city! I'm certain that I'll like it as much as Sevilla, but it will take me some time. I can't just hop on a bus there and know where I'm going. Plus there's the whole "pueblo Spanish" thing. I'm still really pumped to meet my housemate. Her name is Fabiola.
4 comments:
How perfect is her name!
Hi There! Once again this is so cool to read and live the adventure with you. Thanks for your insight and time to give us a glimpse of your experience. Love you, Dad
Guess what? Your ecstatic giggling totally reminded me of when we got to Amsterdam and I turned to you in foolish glee to profess, "Ellen, it smells like Europe!"
1. No Way! Unjust. Inconvenient. Let's protest. After siesta.
2. I cannot imagine how different that must look! I wish I could see it!
3. They've probably been on strike for about 50 years.
4. Yes, but how much more leathery have they gotten?
5. Yay!
6. I hope you thought of me when you ate something particularly creamy.
7. The only problem is making people care.
8. A phenomenon I don't understand. Maybe I should just rent it.
9. Hmm. Nothin'.
10. Maybe they didn't have those when we were there, you'd think we would have gotten some plastic off of four months.
Post a Comment