and I´m using a Spanish keyboard! ññññ (because I can)
The flights were long, about ten and a half hours. We had a 4 hour layover in the Madrid airport, during which we were extremely tired because it was 8am in Spain and 1am in the United States. I slept more than most on the plane, which still wasn´t enough to make up for the time difference.
I was unable to get Euros in the airport because I didn´t want to go through security twice. So I can´t get any until Friday morning and I now owe my señora 1 euro for the bus ride we all took to get here.
...Speaking of my señora, Her name is Gracia (Gra-th-i-a) and she is wonderful. I have no idea how old she is. As the program director put it ¨She is one of those ageless older women¨ Gracia gets very dressed up for going out and then hangs around the house in a big t-shirt, nightgown thing. She likes to cook and tries to overfeed everyone who stays with her. She made Sam and I chicken, potatoes, and salad for lunch and we had melón for dessert. It is a very delicious fruit that I have never had before. Gracia´s husband died awhile ago, so it´s just her and us. Our room is absolutely perfect and sent Sam and I jumping around in circles the second Gracia left. We have a big open window to see Sevilla and floaty white curtains. Our room is better than I pictured it and the girls who stayed with Gracia this summer left us a European straightener, hairdryer, and lots of American shampoo.
Gracia also speaks not a word of English. Sam and I were the first people to get dropped off and we walked off the bus, did the Spanish double cheek kiss greeting, and promptly forgot every Spanish word we knew. Gracia was totally unfazed and speaks to us very slowly and clearly and has patience like only someone who has lived through a lot can have.
After we ate lunch, Sam and I wanted to unpack but Gracia pretty much forced us to take a siesta. It was so nice. She came in and did everything but tuck us in.
However, she is ready to go (I´m at the school now). So, hasta luego todos, it´s back to my broken Spanish which is improving all the time (I hope)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I miss my Ellen! I'm glad to hear you are having fun though! By the Way today I learned some pick up lines and rejection lines in Italian incase you make it down that far for a fun trip or something let me know! :) Have fun friend! -caitlin
So I finally found my blogger password after much frustration...
I got your card today and must say that it's fabulous! Much like you. I'm really glad you arrived safely and that Senora is wonderful and knows how to deal with Americans quite a bit. How lucky to have other students leave you things!
Miss you.
Post a Comment