Friday, November 6, 2009

Exodus 22:21

I am learning what it means to be a foreigner.

Today at school we had some substitute teachers. We started chatting during recess; they asked me if I liked Spain, Jerez, the school, and so forth. I said yes I did like Jerez, I like the people here, the weather is nice, my students are pretty well behaved, even if there are 300 of them. And it's true. I do like Jerez, I speak enough Spanish that it doesn't cause me problems and I enjoy being in the classroom.

It gets tricky outside of that. It's really hard to be in a country where you can't even say what you studied in college because college = elementary school and college (US) = university. Apart from that, our entire educational system is extremely different.

People offer to take me to the movies, the beach or to go to a bar, but what I really want to know is where is a good bookstore? How do the homeless people eat? How do I open a bank account? Can you go with me to the Immigration Office? What documentation do I need to get my paycheck? Where do they sell phone cards? Can you let me try to tell you a story that will be filled with awkward pauses as I conjugate? How do you write an exam for fifth graders and how do you write an exam for 10th graders? They tell me "I'm new at this. I don't know what you need or how to fill out that form." Guess what? I'm also new at this and I don't know how either. But you at least can communicate without feeling censored by a lack of words.

The problem is that there are a lot of expectations that are so... normal for my friends and colleagues that I don't know them. For example, today the woman who cleans at the school said "Gracias Ellen!" And I said "Why? What did I do?" She replied that for the first time I had left the classroom in order with the chairs on the tables and she could clean better.

I felt awful. I had no idea that I was supposed to tell the students in my last class to put the chairs up. And one time, I was putting the chairs up and another teacher walked by and said "NO! You can't put the chairs up - the students have to do it!" What? Why can't I? I don't know how to tell them "Put your chairs on the desk"

That's another thing. I think I'm getting worse at Spanish. Why? How? No idea. But I keep confusing masculine and feminine and then I get flustered.

Another awkward moment occurred when two students needed a projector for a presentation they were giving. I got in trouble because I hadn't signed up a week in advance. Oops.

And I'm really tired of all the American jokes. And of being teased because I always turn the Friday sports newspaper over so that the porn is facing down. When all these things combine (American jokes + porn + some weird expectation + stressful class + Immigration + bank account), I end up very frustrated and near tears.

I'm glad I'm here. I'm glad I'm here. I'm glad I'm here. I've just dealt with a lot of stressful things and feel lonely not in the "alone in my room" way, but in the "can't anyone understand why this is hard?" way. I have even more sympathy for people who are immigrating to the US. I can't imagine dealing with all of this on top of having half the nation hostile towards me. It would take a far stronger person than I to cope with that. And I totally get why people from other countries tend to flock together - social support. I could use some of that right now.

PS: I'm not really one for throwing out Biblical verses as a response to things (Eg. "Romans 12:12!" or something) but the title seemed appropriate:

"Do not mistreat or oppress a foreigner, for you were foreigners in Egypt."
Dually noted for when I go home.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Ellen, I feel for this post.

I am not sure I can contribute any really good advice....But I want to encourage you to share your stories no matter how many awkward conjugation pauses you may need to take. :)

I have faith in you! And I will be praying for you!! (And, not gonna lie, I kinda wish I was over there with you! I would totally help you find a bookstore and phone cards.......)

fallgirl said...

Sweet, sweet Ellen. I agree with Raquel Inglés. Definitely share those stories...once you get started, the people that are listening won't care if you have to pause on a few words.

I miss you un montón and LOVE reading your blog! Sending love and hugs from little Iowa to Jerez!!

Sarah said...

I totally get you on the kind-of-understanding-what-immigrants-in-the-US-must-feel-like thing!

I also hope to take this experience back to help me be more helpful to them! (So this adventure's good for at least one thing, right??)

Sarah said...

(it cut out part of my last post)
*kind-of-understand-
what-immigrants-in-the-US-
must-feel-like thing