Friday, November 13, 2009

I have a bank account at "Sunny Bank". Seriously.

"Shh. Shh. It's story time. Its story time. Shh Shh It's story time today. Shh shh. It's story time. It's story time. Shh. Shh."

That is how the story time chant goes for our 3-5 year olds. It's a CD track with this delightful British woman who has the most soothing and calming voice. I love it. It's my second favorite English chant/ song after "Cheeky's Jungle Jam".

Yesterday, I did a lot of things. I called up my hermano with my phone card. I gave English classes. I tried a new dish: huevos al flamenco. I was hoping that would involve some dancing. It was potatoes and green beans cooked in olive oil with fried tomato and an egg over-easy on top. It was delicious, but there were no dancers. My school had an afternoon of activities playing basketball and football (soccer) against another school, so obviously I went. I bought a precious children's book in Spanish. I spent time with my friend Oliva. I bought some felt to make crafts because it's both fun and trendy here in Spain. I went to my intercambio night - one hour of Spanish and one hour of English at a local bar. I made soup. I burnt a space heater (and left one of the prongs in the outlet because the plastic on the plug melted - yes, I can say that in Spanish now).

In the midst all of these daily activities, I found myself sitting in the bookstore with tired feet and a tired back from walking a lot. Oliva was looking for a book for school and I was waiting.

The bookshop was off the beaten path. I sat there, surrounded by the sounds of Andalusian Spanish, engulfed by Spanish literature of all types, observing customers and waiting. I realized that I love this. Spanish, in that moment, felt like a warm blanket that has a funny smell, cozy and warm but sometimes you get so distracted by the smell that you can't think about how pleasant it is to be wrapped in the blanket. I think being comforted by Spanish is a small victory on the road to bilingualism.

I really want to visit northern Spain. At my intercambio group last night, I was speaking with people who speak more standard Spanish. I realized that my Spanish is becoming more regional (though it still has a looong way to go). I have mixed emotions about this. When I spoke with them, I could stop worrying about my accent and simply speak Spanish. It was genial! I was dominating all forms of the subjunctive. I told Fabiola today that I know better Spanish than I speak, but I just can't always do it. She seemed surprised.

I have mixed emotions about picking up a Spanish dialect because that means committing. It means deciding to shift gears to be present here in a way that will result in other people and options being isolated. It also means my language will be more regional. I hate deciding things. I want to speak Andalus and standard Spanish, but I'm not at a point where I can move freely between the two. I feel like this decision is symbolic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remind me to tell you the story of the British lady in the Russian/English movies.

I just typed that sentence all lower cased, then became appalled at how I even got lazy typing, like it's so hard... I changed it.

He wore the Elf costume. That's all I'm gonna say.

A.K. Carroll said...

"I have mixed emotions about picking up a Spanish dialect because that means committing. It means deciding to shift gears to be present in a way that will result in other people and options being isolated...I hate deciding things."

Language factors aside, this is my life at the moment. I also hate deciding things and I am in a place where some decisions need to be made.

I am happy to hear of your pleasant experiences in Spain. Last night I had a Christmas experience in Derby. I love Christmas. That is all.

Sarah said...

That would definitely be a difficult decision to be at...either option you have will turn out well, there will just be a few little different pros and cons for each...

And, I must say, I love the smelly blanket metaphor; amusing, yet oh-so-true...