Jerez is becoming home. I love living here. I feel like I am starting to become rooted, to have my rhythms, to understand the people and the city.
I am so thankful that I am here, that I waited out the initial difficulty.
I feel like I am becoming more myself here, more aware of God, more aware of the ways God shows up in small things like a beggar named Isabel in Sevilla or a Bulgarian family in Jerez.
I'm increasingly confused and disillusioned by the version of Christianity that is present in Andalusia. Over the course of many centuries, it seems to have warped into something almost unrecognizable from the Jesus in the Bible. Those closest to the heart of God sit outside the church and look shamefully at their plastic cups containing a few cents worth of Euros as people wrapped in the latest fashion trends walk by and try not to see them. It breaks my heart for the ones who hold the cup and for the ones who pass them and try to quickly engage in small talk with whoever is next to them.
One thing I have tried to do is to see these people. Our natural reaction seems to be to look away, but I have tried to look at them. Sometimes they ask me for money and sometimes they don't. Sometimes I give them food or a few cents, sometimes I don't. However, becoming aware of them is transformative, as are the times when I can offer them some food.
Faby is maybe one of the most Christlike people I have ever met and she has left the church. We had a beautiful discussion about it on our drive to Sevilla this weekend. We talked about the processions during Semana Santa, about the adoration of the Virgin Mary, about how church is really a community, about what happens when that community fails. She has taken me into her house, her life, and her family and I treasure it a lot.
I'm growing here.
8 comments:
hi ellen we missed you at thanksgiving and we had alot of great food. thanks for letting us know about your under arms
hi ellen we were at your house. we got to see ur neighbor's cool pond. Food is great.my mom helped me with most of this
Hi Ellen
Your bed is so comfy...thanks for letting us use it :) Finally after 11 years we made it to KC. Your Mom is a fantastic cook. I guess you already know that. The 7 of us pretty much demolished all the bread goods that she made yesterday. I am waiting for a taste of the coconut cream pie next.
Hi, Ellen! What an experience you are living! We surley missed you here and we still miss you being in OC.
I'm glad we finally made here, too bad it took so long! What cool house and awesome neighborhood!
1. I must know about your under arms.
2. I love you.
3. Your posts have been very contemplative lately. Do you need cheering?
4. CHEER UP!
5. hahah
6. I think we need to talk about utilizing my discount at VS for your benefit...
Thanks for the beautiful encouraging words :)
hi Ellen,
Scout misses you. Hope you had a great thanksgiving
I am not discouraged... just really contemplative and have no one to discuss it with.
Cousins: I LOVE the family blog comments. They make me so happy. I also loved seeing pictures!
Post a Comment