Sometimes, there are so many adventures that I can't tell you about them all.
Sorry.
Read Sam's blog. It can fill you in.
I have taken thress (and by "Thress" I mean "three") tests in the past two days. All went well, and I am fairly sure that my Spanish has improved a ton, and my English continues to get worse. Excellent. I almost spelled "English" "Inglish". Please excuse any more spelling mistakes.
Yesterday, I started my community service. I went with 2 other girls and David, our student ministries coordinator, to a convent where children live. Most are immigrants from Marrocco. A lot of them are either orphans, or they had abusive father and their mothers have to work during the week and sometimes can pick them up on the weekend.
It was absolutely wonderful. When I got there, a little 6 year old put up her arms and I bent down and she gave me a big kiss on the cheek. Another 6 year old asked me "How do you speak?" (Literal translation from Spanish, which is how I understood it.) I was like "uhhh... English and also I speak Spanish" She asked me to tell her something in English, so I did, then I translated it. She then said keep talking in Spanish. So I did and when I sto(p)ped she got a big smile on her face and gave me a big hug.
Other adventures include me trying to explain carrying the one in problems like 34-17, in Spanish. I explained it 3 times, in 3 different ways, and finally, David explained it. I also made letters with a 4 year-old, where I held her hand and moved it to make different vowels. That was a little un nerving because I don't have the best handwriting. I figured "i" and "o" are pretty straightforward though.
The best time was when we got to go to the patio. It's the huge courtyard in the middle of the convent with rollerskates and balls and sometimes, fun american girls to climb on! For the whole hour and a half, someone was using me as a jungle gym. At one point, I had a 7 year old on my back like a monkey, I was carrying this adorable 2 year old in front with one arm, and pulling someone on rollerskates with the other hand. The nuns smiled at me.
I am SO sore today. fells (feels) good.
Maria is not a big fan of children. When I got home 3 hours later, she asked me "So were they all naughty?" I told her they were angels.
I think I'm starting to think in Spanish, little by little. I always figured I would just wake up one day and be thinking in Spanish, but I think the best way to describe thinking in Spanish is that you aren't thinking, because you don't have to. Although, lately, when I think about how I should tell Anthony a story or something, when I think of what he might say, it's been in Spanish. Pretty sweet.
I would like to go to Santiago de Compostela. We started studying it in art today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Elena,
Wonderfully written in any language. Michael will be jealous that you got to have so much fun playing. He'll want a playtime with you too. You can watch him juggle his rubiks cubes and then solve them in less than two minutes. Just don't try to carry him on your back, he' got to be all the way to 6'4" now. Love Dad
Oh boy. You and little children make a very happy picture. I can completely picture your arms and back full of smiling, happy, faces with more waiting for their turn. I'm so glad you're having fun! When you get back, we should have one of our old roommate nights. They were always an adventure!
My Spanish teacher always said when you start dreaming in spanish you know your in.
Oh Ellen,
I read this early this morning and didn't have a chance to reply until now. Just know that the picture of you as a jungle gym with smiling children all over you and the smiles on their faces (and yours) has been in my mind ever since. Love you!
Post a Comment