Thursday, November 29, 2007

Plans

Today I played Bingo with some old Spanish men in a convento (think like a nursing home, but built in the 16th C. and is home to paintings that Murillo painted for this specific place. If you don't know who Murillo is, you should feel a little bit ashamed inside and then Google him.) I went with the school and at my table, my elderly Spaniards were named Jose and Emilio. I told them my name was Elena and they said "de Troya?" Helen of Troy. That's a new one. Except last time I went, I'm pretty sure that they told me the same thing. In Spanish, they call the number 90 "el abuelo", the grandfather. I like that.
Tomorrow, I am going to Ronda. It's a city in Andalucia with the oldest bullfighting ring in Spain. Sweet? I think so. I will not be seeing a bullfight there though so don't get too emocionado. The more I learn about bullfights, the more en contra/ against them I am. We're going with the school, so it's free to me!
Saturday, we are going to my history professor's house to have Christmas sweets and watch a peli/ movie and chat.
Sunday, Sam, Kelsey, Noelle, Stacey, and I are going to Granada to see the Alhambra. If you don't know what that is, I give you the same advice I did about Murillo. This was not free, but as the Alhambra is something we studied rather extensively in art class, and it made the top 21 of the wonders of the modern world, I'm down.
Monday, I don't think much of interest is happening, but
Tuesday we're going to some Arabian baths, which are like Roman baths, but started by the Muslims instead, and we are also going to the Convento de los ninos to sing villancicos, Christmas Carols. Super fun
Thursday-Sunday is a holiday weekend in Spain. No one works or has class or basically anything. I am unsure of my plans for then. I might possibly rock Lagos, Portugal again, as it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Or maybe just chill in Sevilla. Lo que sea. Como quiera.
Mostly though, I want to have time to stop and breathe, to sit in the Parque Maria Luisa or the gardens of the Alcazar. So if the posts slow down in the next few weeks, it's because I'm trying to savor every moment here, because me queda muy poco tiemo.
I really need to write a post in Spanish, just for kicks...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just did all of the homework you assigned. Murillo's work is amazing as are the pictures of Ronda and the Alhambra. I love the thought of Christmas carols with the los ninos. You've posted more pictures. Once again, I fell like I've been on a vacation. Thank you!

Samantha said...

Elenacita. To think 3 months ago we knew relatively little about the Alhambra and the Muslim obsession with water and the symbolism of shells.

Whodathunk?