Saturday, February 13, 2010

the British are coming!

Thursday night, two guests arrived to our apartment. Lorna and Lucy are two British Spanish teachers. Their school is going to do an exchange program with our school. At the end of June, 20 of our/ my ~10th grade students will travel to a small town in the south of England between Oxford and London and live with host families in country houses, see a British school, (hopefully) speak lots of English, and see London. I want to go!!! In September, the British students will come here, see the sea (hehe), meet Tío Pepe, and enjoy the delightful heat of September.

Lorna and Lucy stayed with Faby and I for two nights and it was so wonderful to have them here. It was nice to speak English, it was nice to talk about the experience of being a teacher in English. We talked about how you can't always be perfect, how teaching is a job with sky high expectations that can't always be met. We drank loads of manzanilla con anís, went out to eat twice yesterday, and wished that it would not have been so cold and rainy. This is us at dinner. Lucy took the photo, so she isn't in it, but from left to right, you can see me, Lorna, Ana (our principal), Andrés (English teacher), and Faby.
For those of you who are wondering about food, I have to admit, I don't really like Spanish bar food. I'm a bit tired of the vegetarian tapas: Cold potatoes with olive oil and onion, olives, egg and fried potato omelette, canned artichokes, potato salad, cheese. It's basically a lot of cheese and a lot of potatoes. Meh. I'm not complaining, I really enjoy the experience of going out to eat with people, but last night I felt like a picky eater. And I'm not - well, I don't think I am. I just have my parameters: if it looks at me, I do not eat it. If it is meat, I don't eat it, I don't really like fried things, and I don't really like slimy mushrooms. I tried a piece of fried calamari - again. Still don't like it.

I also made brownies with one of my private students. It was way fun, and then they paid me for the month at the end. I was like "What's this?" because I'd forgotten that we were having class. I love my job.

1 comment:

A.K. Carroll said...

So are you an all-out veggie now? Or do you still do poultry and some fish?
We would cook well together. I do not like fried things. I do not like when my food looks more alive than I do.
I like to be able to identify the things I am eating.
We could have an herb garden and maybe even a garden garden, wow, that would be amazing!