Spanish word of the day: inundación. "een-uun-dah-thee-OWN" It means "flood"
Since Christmas, Cádiz has received the amount of rain normally received over the course of two years - in two months. The Guadalete River runs through Jerez and has now desembordado (overflowed it's banks) twice. In a depressing metaphor, the train tracks to Seville washed away Thursday night. Many people are flooded out of their homes. Carreteras (highways) are closed. People are being rescued by helicopters. Everyone has a story to tell about their aunt, nephew, parents, or friends who have been trapped.
That's an interesting dynamic here in Andalusia. People are very family oriented. Maria, my host mom in Seville, was always talking to or about her nephew, sister, cousin, niece, or friend. Here, families still live together and function as a family when the "kids" are in their late 20s and 30s. I told someone yesterday that some parents in the US make their children pay rent or kick them out after they turn 18 or after they graduate from university. It was shocking to them, but they agreed that at some point, that becomes a good idea. The family dynamic also means that getting adopted into some kind of family is an excellent way to assure you are not lonely.
I've had a really rough week emotionally. I poured myself into teaching hardcore and it was so good - but by Thursday I just couldn't do it anymore. Balance, balance, balance.
Yesterday, I went and learned how to cook garbanzos with pumpkin, green beans (fresh), and cumin. It was very tasty and I shall be giving it a go in America. It was also very spicy in a heartburn kind of way, so I might tone down the 3.5 tablespoons of cumin a bit. But only a bit. I learned from Anita, the woman who works for Faby's mom. We will hopefully repeat cooking class once a week or so. Next up: Potatoes and artichokes. Then lentil with vegetables. Mm! Being a vegetarian rocks in Spain because it means no sausage or chorizo!
It's not rainying (I can't stop spelling raining like this) so I think I'm going to seize the sun and go on a bike ride. Hasta luego my snowy friends!
4 comments:
I love you. Will you be a vegetarian when you come back to the States?
I feel freedom to embrace living with ones parents after the age of 20, though I still have a difficult time doing so.
You totally used the phrase "have a go" because you want to be British, or have been with the British or are teaching British English. Kind of like the way you said "half four" while we were chatting. :)
Flooding?! In southern Spain?! ¡Ay!
"In a depressing metaphor, the train tracks to Seville washed away Thursday night."
I am not sure why, but this is my favorite line of the whole post (am I a Debbie Downer for thinking so?). In some way, I think it shows your growth.
I'll be praying for you and the region. Take care.
Post a Comment