Monday, February 15, 2010

Real Spanish.

Ligar - to hook up. As in I don´t want to ligar contigo. Let´s just be friends. (super useful, FYI)

Cachondear - kidding around. I like cachondeando at work with my colleagues.

Liado - tied up. Not to be confused with ligar. As in - I´m all liada with work and classes.

¡Ala! - woah. As in ¡Ala! I can´t believe you ate that whole container of ice cream! Or - Ala! Look at those cookies Ellen made. :)

Pesado - annoying. Please stop talking. That´s really pesado.

Perra - female dog. No really. Like I have two perros and una perra. The change in ending also works for oso - bear or any other animal. Gato - gata, etc. Side note: if you are talking to a group of Spaniards and there are males and females present, it is apparently common to say vosotrOs y vosotrAs. Oh yeah. No more being lumped into the masculine by the presence of one dude.

Enganchado - totally suckered in. Sometimes I´m enganchada by the Bachelor.

El pino - handstand. I can do el pino. It´s impressive to my students

Super + adjective+it@ - Really really. Example you arrived super tempran-ITO. Really really early.

There´s more but I can´t think of it now. Maybe later.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I like this! Spanish word of the day in useful format!

caitlin said...

So on the language topic.... the other day on the radio the DJs were talking about how "dude" used to be used for only men. Now people use it as a general term for both sexes. Even if I only understood like half of ur post because I speak less than zero Spanish lol I thought that was interesting because u said "dude" :) what inspired the language post?

Ellen said...

I made sugar cookies today! My students are certainly experiencing the world of American baked goods.

The language post was inspired by... life? I just have learned a lot of useful Spanish since January and thought it would be fun to share!

I once called my mom "dude". She was confused. I was too.

fallgirl said...

Ellen! I love this post. Are you going to be in Spain in June, July, or the first week in August? I would LOVE to visit you if I could! And I think my favorite on this list was "el pino" because it reminded me of when we were at the torre de Eiffel and we recorded you doing one! :) Miss you, chica.

Sarah said...

Love it, Ellen! Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on all the good Spanish slang, etc :)

kelsey said...

Jaja, two weeks ago I started making a list with my roommate of new words I’ve been learning, and “ligar” was one of them. That was after being told I needed to find somebody to ligar with since we had an extra seat in the car on the way to the discoteca, and having to explain that I didn’t want to ligar with anybody at my school. Oh dear.

Other words on my list with rough translations/spellings: ¡Ostras! (Gosh, wow, or oysters…), Una pasada (Too much, amazing, cool), ¡Qué chungo! (Difficult, painful, bad, dangerous), ¡Hostia! (Crap, the best/worst, or communion host…), ¡Qué asco! (How discusting), ¡Qué rabia! (How frustrating, annoying), Tiene buena pinta (It looks good), Apretar (Squeeze, as in squeeze up next to somebody at the discoteca), Jornal (Daily wage… my roommate tried to find a word I wouldn’t know), Porro (a joint, pot… I learned this from my students) and of course all the lovely palabrotas… joder/jodín, mierda, coño, polla… (though I hear them so often I suspect they aren’t as strong as they would be in English)

And for snow sports :)
Raqueta (snow shoe), hacer snow (to snowboard), la tabla (the snowboard), el talón (heelside), la punta (toeside), y la pendiente (slope)